Tuesday 28 September 2010

Analaysis of a student video watched in class (planning)



In class we analysed a number of video's that student's had constructed, one of the video's we observed was to a song called bullet proof by an artist named La Roux which falls into the categorical genre of pop. Through careful analysis of this video I have concluded that the genre was misrepresented throughout the video in that the mise en scene was not indicative of which genre the girls were trying to represent. The only giveaway was the song because it was familiar. The costumes did not highlight typical pop cultured outfits and the locations that were selected did not compliment the genre. From a narrative perspective the narrative did not have a direct link to the lyrics, which could arguably represent disjuncture to an extent; nonetheless the overall concept of the video was missed and the song's meaning was lost due to this objective choice. Despite all of this the editing was of a particularly high standard, there were a variety of shots incorporated and good use of clear cut transitioning. There was also good framing of shots and manipulation of pace in the video. I particularly liked the part where the girls made use of the split screening technique. In addition to this I also like where they put a recording frame on the screen to make it appear as if there was a camera within a camera recording them. Overall from an editing perspective I felt that there were some amazing elements that I would even consider using in my own finished product, however I feel like due to the lack of planning in mise en scene combined the non-illustrative nature of the video the concept  and meaning of the song was lost. As a result of this I feel obliged to take a more illustrative approach in terms of narrative when working on my own music video and will try to ensure that the mise en scene is carefully planned to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment